Welcome to Week 5
Watch this video first!
This is our opening video each week where we will introduce new songs, the lessons for the week, and some different challenges for you to try!
This week look for ways we are good friends to others, or how others are good friends to us!
Immanuel's VBS Facebook Group
Share what you're doing this week! We'd love to see photos & videos of your VBS fun, and you can share your God Sightings in this group too. It is a private group, so use the link below to request access then start posting!
This week we are discovering amazing things about Jesus' power and how Jesus' power helps us be good friends!
Begin by reading through the "Crew View" activity on page 40 of your Tracking with Jesus book and draw your family in the faces on the page.
Then, as a family, read the story about Something to Believe In (p.41-46) in your Tracking with Jesus book.
It's a Party!
In Acts, we hear about the early believers. They are eating together, praising Jesus together, hanging out together, and sharing with each other. Jesus' power made those believers good friends!
All Together Now
When we are friends with Jesus, others will be friends with us too! Jesus said that when we treat each other as friends, that shows other people who don't know him yet that he's real! Our friendships matter! They help us show Jesus' love to others, and we can show Jesus' love to one another too!
Close by praying, "Dear Lord, your power and your love are amazing! thank you for being the best friend we'll ever have, and thank you for showing us how to be good friends. Please be with each of us as we go out into the world to live for you. Thank you for loving us. In Jesus' name, Amen!"
Jesus Power Lets Us Live Forever!
- Today we saw a story of some really good friends Renee and Alina.
- What are some things Renee and Alina like to do together? What's your favorite thing to do with your friends?
- In your life, what do you look for in a good friend?
- Good friendships are special and important in our lives. But that doesn't mean friendships are always easy. That's why I'm grateful that Jesus' power helps us be good friends!
Questions for Preschoolers
- What friendly things did you see Alina and Renee do?
- Good friends spend time together, listen to each other, and laugh together.
- The Bible reminds us that Jesus' power helps us be good friends!
Explore the Bible
John 15:12 - "Love each other in the same way I have loved you."
What a great verse! Here we see Jesus give us some advice on exactly how to be good friends! Jesus is the best friend of all time! He gives us the perfect example of how to be good friends to others.
Try This At Home
- Wear your Power Band and explain to friends or family what it means.
- Say that steam trains ran on coal or wood, so you could choose coal and wood beads.
- Explain that we can run on Jesus' power! That's why your power band contains a cross bead!
- Every time you wear your Power Band remember that you can be a good friend by telling others about Jesus!
- John 15:12 says, "Love each other in the same way I have loved you."
Game 1 - Cross the Divide
3 Pool Noodles
- Spread out and lie down on the ground in a line where one family member's head rests just a few inches from another's feet.
- Lay three pool noodles near the feet of the person whose feet are at the end of the line.
- The person near the pool noodles picks them up (using only their feet) pinching the pool noodle between their feet.
- Then that person lifts their legs toward their head to pass the pool noodle to the person lying above them in line.
- The whole family passes this way until all the pool noodles are moved to the other end of the line, as fast as possible.
Working together is an important part of being a friend! Remember, Jesus' Power helps us be good friends!
Game 2 - Hang On!
6 Cones or other items to set in a line in the yard.
- Have your family line up in one line at the first cone and put your hands on the person in front of you.
- Weave in and out of the cones, around the last one and back again.
- Remind your kids if they go too fast, the end of the line (caboose) won't be able to hold on. If trains fall apart, you can stop and let them re-connect.
- Give each person a chance to be the engine and the caboose.
In this game we had to take care of our friends and not lose anyone. We can always be kind and care for our friends because Jesus' power helps us be good friends!
Graham Crackers, Strawberries, Blueberries, Clementines, Whipped Topping (8oz)
- Family members can not make their own snack, but must make the snack for one of the other family members.
- Build a fruit pizza on a graham cracker by first spreading whipped topping on top of a cracker.
- Add any of the fruit choices to the top of the whipped topping.
Bible Point Reminder
It's awesome to see us helping each other as we talk about friendships this week. In this week's special Bible verse, John 15:12, Jesus says, "Love each other in the same way I have loved you." We've done that in some cool ways at Rocky Railway VBS! Remember:
Jesus' power helps us be good friends!