Welcome to Week 2
Watch this video first!
This is our opening video each week where we will introduce new songs, the lessons for the week, and some different challenges for you to try!
This week look for someone who give you hope!
Immanuel's VBS Facebook Group
Share what you're doing this week! We'd love to see photos & videos of your VBS fun, and you can share your God Sightings in this group too. It is a private group, so use the link below to request access then start posting!
Begin by reading through the "Map Your World" activity on page 12 of your Tracking with Jesus book and talking about the questions as a family.
Then, as a family, read the story about Paul and "A Perfect Storm" (p.13-18) in your Tracking with Jesus book.
Pretend you are sailing in a stormy sea like Paul and his companions. Build a "ship" on your couch, Use this sound effect as you "sail" through the storm. Then pretend the ship is about to be wrecked, jump overboard and then swim to shore.
Talk about Hard Things
What is something you'd like to change in your life but feel powerless to do it?
It's no fun to be powerless and feel hopeless. But in today's story we are reminded that Jesus Power Gives us Hope!
How could Jesus' power give us hope in those tough situations we mentioned?
Close by praying to ask God to give them the power to have hope.
Jesus Power Gives us Hope!
- Analiz plays a really surprising instrument... Does anyone in your house play an instrument? If you could play any instrument in the world, what would it be?
- Jesus' power helped Analiz use her musical talent to bring hope to her grandmother.
- Who in your life brings you comfort and hope? What do they do?
- What's a talent you have - something you're good at - that could bring comfort and hope to someone?
- What do you think it means to put your hope in the Lord?
Questions for Preschoolers
- How do you like to make music?
- Who is someone who comforts or helps you? What do they do?
- What can you do to bring hope to someone else?
- The Bible tells us that Jesus' power gives us hope!
Explore the Bible
Psalm 31:24 - "So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord."
What a great verse! Jesus' power will help us be strong and courageous. With Jesus' power we can bring hope to someone else, just like Analiz brought hope to her grandmother.
Try This At Home
- Show your Hope 'n' Hover to a friend. Pretend one ball is you and the other is your friend.
- Demonstrate what happens when you blow into your Hope 'n' Hover.
- Just as the air lifts the friends us, the hope we have in Jesus' power can lift us up!
- Remember what Psalm 31:24 says, "So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!"
Game 1 - H.O.P.E. Ball
Two Game Balls (Playground Ball, Volleyball, Soccer Ball, Etc.)
- Stand in a circle, foot to foot, with legs spread a little more than shoulder-width apart.
- The goal is for people to roll a ball between the legs of another person as well as block the ball from going between their own.
- Each player may use only one arm, and must tuck the other behind their back.
- When a person lets the ball roll between their legs, they earn a letter in the word hope. When one person gets all four letters, players shuffle and start again.
- About halfway through, try adding a second ball to increase the challenge.
Wrap Up Questions
- What gave you hope to keep playing through the game's challenges?
- Tell about a time you had hope through another challenge in life.
We face big challenges - some might be so hard that they seem hopeless. But there's always hope through any challenge when we're friends with Jesus. Jesus' Power Gives Us Hope!
Game 2 - Storm Tag
Small spray bottles set to mist, A Length of Rope, A Blanket
- Use the rope to mark the edge of a "ship", and the blanket to make an "island". Parents will take the spray bottles.
- Kids must run from the ship to the island without being sprayed. If they are sprayed, they must return to the ship and try again.
Bagels & Cream cheese -or- Donuts
1. Cut the bagels (or donuts) in half. Place them on a tray, cut side down, to form a tunnel.
2. If using bagels, place a container of cream cheese with your "tunnel".
Bible Point Reminder
Our bagel tunnel isn't long, but trains can be in dark tunnels for a really long time before the light at the end of the tunnel appears. The light gives hope because it means the train is about to make it through the tunnel. We'll get through dark or hard times in our lives, too. Today's special Bible verse, Psalm 31:24 tells us, "So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!"
Jesus power gives us hope!